About the Journal
Focus and Scope
The AsTEN Teacher Education Journal will provide the forum for scholarly discussion on important topics in teacher education. It shall also promote for the advancement of teacher education in the ASEAN region and the world.
- Advance research and teaching scholarship on various areas in teacher education through publication.
- Increase AsTENs network visibility in the ASEAN region and in the world.
- Foster greater cooperation on knowledge generation, enrichment, dissemination and utilization among member institutions.
- Promote greater understanding and appreciation of the richness and diversity ofÂ ASEAN cultures.
- Bridge gaps, anticipate challenges and create the future context in teacher education.
Focus and Scope
ASTEN Journal is a bi-annual publication that will cover an extensive array of relevant and emerging topics and issues in teacher education. It will bring to the fore, significant findings and contributions on teacher education that will lead to better understanding of the dynamics of education contexts and empower teacher education institutions. Topics falling under any of the suggested teacher education themes below may be included for publication:1. Teaching and Learning Innovations
It will bring to the fore current initiatives and proposed innovations in teaching and learning as it covers empirical studies and theoretical analyses that seek to address challenges related to curricular programs, pedagogical model practices, learning modalities, classroom management, assessment of learning outcomes, advancements in educational technology and product development.2. AsTEN Teacher Education Leadership
This section covers scholarly studies that address management and leadership trends and challenges in teacher education. It will also highlight best practices on capacity building and teacher education leadership that will pave for broader understanding and greater cooperation among ASEAN Teacher Education Institutions.3. Internationalization
This theme includes current efforts and explorations on standards harmonization and internationalization and high impact studies on international rankings and global benchmarking. Internationalization in teacher education may include harmonization of quality assurance systems, teacher quality and qualification standards. It may cover interventions that address challenges of cultural diversity and strategies to strengthen ASEAN regional and international collaborations. This theme also highlights strategic endeavours of ASEAN Teacher Education Institutions that will set the benchmarks for 21st century Teacher Education in Asia.4.Â Teacher Education and Society
This theme covers research studies that address significant issues on the changing context of teacher education based on the dynamics of the economic, social, cultural and political factors.Â It welcomes studies that explore the current social contexts of education and move beyond the challenges of the current contexts for continuing growth and development of teacher education as a discipline.5. Emerging Areas in Teacher Education
This covers research on emerging trends, values and norms in educational system. It may include cognition and brain-based research, East Asian pedagogies, equity and inclusivism in teacher education in the AsEAN region.
Peer Review Process
1. Criteria for Publication
Preference is given to articles that are aligned to the identified themes of the Journal. It is expected that the submitted article follows the prescribed manuscript format and submission procedures. There is evidence that the article is scholarly written, discusses a timely topic, and could connect to the target readership audience of the journal.
2. Review Mechanics
- Submitted manuscript will be subject to anti-plagiarism test as initial evaluation by an editorial board member.
- The technical requirements which include format and intelligibility as well as content qualifications like alignment to the theme, relevance, originality and impact must be adequately met before the article could be considered for in-house review by the associate editors assigned in the theme where the submitted article is classified under.
- The article is then endorsed to the associate editors and two specialists for in-depth review. Review process normally takes about 21 days.
- Authors will be notified of the results of the review which may be: a). accepted without revisions; b) accepted with minor revisions; c). accepted with major revisions; and d). non-acceptance or rejection of submitted article.
- Authors are required to respond to the reviewers comments and suggestions and submit their revised article on a specified date. Associate editors will then check how accurately the comments and suggestions were responded to.
- A decision letter on the acceptance or non-acceptance of the paper will be sent to the authors.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.